It’s official: Snap Lake closing indefinitely, mining stops

The Snap Lake diamond mine will be placed “on care and maintenance” and all mining has stopped, owner De Beers confirmed on Friday.

More than 400 staff will go, the company announced, though De Beers said employees affected will receive salaries and benefits for 16 weeks. Of those losing their jobs, 100 are from the North.

New: Full Q&A – what De Beers and the GNWT said about Snap Lake

In a statement, De Beers said the decision “follows a review of the mine’s operation, particularly in light of current market conditions”.

The company says it will continue to evaluate the market over the next year “to determine the potential of the ore body as a viable mine”.

According to De Beers, work to bring production to a halt at Snap Lake will take between one and nine months and keep around 120 staff employed for the time being.

Environmental monitoring and work required to satisfy regulators will continue, but no actual mining will take place from now on.

Keeping Snap Lake in care and maintenance mode will require around 70 staff, said the company, while 41 employees have been moved across to the Gahcho Kue mine – which is under construction – with immediate effect. Another 60 may be able to transfer across in the next year

“Regrettably, 434 employees have been notified that they will not be required for the closure and maintenance work,” said De Beers.

“The men and women at Snap Lake have put enormous effort into this challenging ore body over many years, but even the gains made this year are not enough to overcome the market conditions and put us in a profitable position,” said Kim Truter, De Beers Canada’s chief executive, in a written statement.

“To see such a strong commitment to the mine makes today’s announcement that much more difficult.”

Snap Lake had been due to remain operational until 2028, having opened in 2008.

 

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Water levels “above average” on Mackenzie at Aklavik as ice-break up underway

Environmental scientists with the territory’s Environment and Climate Change department said that ice break-up along the Peel River is “near complete.” Data collected as of this morning showed that ice break up continues along the Mackenzie Delta, with water levels "above average" in Aklavik.

New program formally integrates wildland and structural firefighting

The territorial government and the Northwest Territories Fire Chiefs Association have just unveiled a new program that formally integrates N.W.T. wildfire and community emergency response. While the Wildland Urban Interface program is aimed at responding to a need for “stronger integration” between wildland and structural firefighting during wildfire threats, some responsibilities remain delegated to the municipal level.

No word yet on what caused Taltson’s newly repaired surge tank to leak

It will be “several” more days before more is known about a reported leak at the Taltson Station’s surge tank. South Slave hydro customers were transfered to diesel fuel this weekend as N.W.T.’s Power Corporation inspects the Talston surge tank, after some water was observed leaking from the tank.

GNWT alerts Canvas users of security breach

The Government of the Northwest Territories is notifying users of the Canvas learning management platform of a security incident involving Canvas’ parent company, Instructure.

NTPC warns of potential short outages in Inuvik

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation is warning residents of Inuvik that during planned work on the local power plant the community may experience short intermittent power outages.