100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Yellowknife soccer players query City’s fieldhouse plan

Soccer players are challenging a proposal to transform Yellowknife’s fieldhouse.

A $190,000 draft budget item – yet to be approved or discussed by councillors – calls for one of the fieldhouse’s two fields to be temporarily resurfaced between April and September.

City officials say community use of the facility stands at just four percent in those months (before the city’s own programming is included).

However, representatives of the Yellowknife Sundogs soccer team claim the city should improve the current playing surface, rather than replace it, to generate more users.

“The turf that we have in there now? Honestly, it’s old technology,” said coach Joe Acorn, who believes some players avoid the fieldhouse because of its current surface.

“That is not a healthy surface to play on,” said Acorn. “The proper field turf would get more adults out. I know a number of adults who have stopped playing adult soccer because of the beating their body takes from that floor.”

Andrew Fox, also representing the Sundogs, said city policies regarding fieldhouse usage also prevent more interest in the summer months.

Fox questioned whether installing a new surface on one field for half the year would generate more income for the city, or simply take income from other city facilities such as gyms.

Is the fieldhouse used?

Grant White, from city administration, explained more about the proposal.

“The project includes the installation of a Pulastic floor – the same brand used at the track level,” said White.

“Through the peak season – between October and March – we would have two indoor soccer fields. In the non-peak season we would have one soccer field and one multi-purpose surface.”

According to White, use of the fieldhouse by the community stands at 46 percent of capacity between October and March. That rises to 72 percent when city programs are included.

However, community use drops to just four percent from April to September, or 42 percent once the city’s programs are also factored in. The new surface would, according to administration, allow different activities and events to be held inside the fieldhouse.

White said some user groups other than soccer had been contacted, but Acorn and Fox expressed concern that no soccer organizations had been invited to comment.

Councillors are expected to look at the project as they delve into the draft budget during meetings this week.

Spray park ‘unwise’

Another resident, Velma Sterenberg, took time during Monday’s council meeting to highlight her concerns with other proposals in the budget.

Sterenberg took particular issue with plans – partly inspired by local students – to install a downtown spray park.

“Given the years of concern and publicity about global warming, I find it very discouraging that the city is willing to direct such a sum of money – and water – to this sort of facility,” said Sterenberg.

“It might be wiser to build pumping stations at various locales to protect the city from wildfires. There’s not going to be too many people enjoying a spray park if Yellowknife burns to the ground.”

The author of this report also serves as the volunteer president of NWT Soccer. 

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.