Yellowknife to host #MMIW inquiry preliminary meeting

Yellowknife will host a key session in the run-up to the launch of a national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.

On Friday, January 8, federal government officials will be in the Northwest Territories capital to meet with survivors, family members and loved ones of victims.

Carolyn Bennett, the minister of Indigenous and northern affairs, is expected to attend.

The session will be one of the first held outside Ottawa since the Liberals confirmed their intention to launch an inquiry, long resisted by the prior Conservative government.

“The Government of Canada believes that an inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls can only be designed after hearing from those directly affected,” read a federal statement accompanying the announcement.

‘Long-term process’

The federal government is calling January 8’s event an “inquiry design meeting”. Those who attend will be asked how they think the national inquiry should work, and how broad it should be in scope.

At meetings in Ottawa earlier in December, participants called for the inquiry to provide a ‘safe’ environment for those who wish to share their stories. With that in mind, reporters are set to be excluded from the preliminary session in Yellowknife.

In Ottawa, family members urged the federal government to ensure the inquiry examines the root causes of violence and abuse alongside the consequences.

“In general, the participants agreed that solving the problem of violence will be a long-term process,” noted a federal report on the opening Ottawa session.

“As such, efforts to address violence will need to be monitored, measured and supported. As time passes, attention should continue to focus on the needs and concerns of survivors, families and loved ones.”

Other sessions confirmed to date will take place in Thunder Bay, Whitehorse, Vancouver and Prince George, with more venues expected to be added.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

“Bears are back!” (again)

With bears in the territory awakening from hibernation, the department of the Environment warn bears are “active” in the NWT and urge folks to take steps to keep a distance and keep safe. The N.W.T. is known as “bear country’ and home to black, grizzly and polar bears. While bears generally avoid contact with people, encounters happen.

Fort Providence RCMP charge suspect following search warrant

Fort Providence RCMP says they have arrested and charged a suspect with drug charges following the execution of a search warrant.

Road work to be conducted in Yellowknife over the next two weeks

The City of Yellowknife has retained the services of Stantec Consulting Ltd. to carry out geotechnical investigations in several areas of the city, in perpetration for upcoming Sewer & Water and paving improvements.

NWT responds to PM’s new power strategy

In a media release issued Thursday naming the Taltson expansion, the federal government emphasized the importance of the energy supply in building an “affordable, competitive and sustainable” economy. In response, Northern energy experts agree an expanded countrywide clean electric grid is vital but ask who benefits when the multibillion dollar proposed Taltson expansion won’t reach the communities that need it most.

Major Project Review Tool and Regional Database launched by Mackenzie Review Board

The Mackenzie Valley Environmental Impact Review Board just launched a new online Regional Database and Major Project Review Tool. The board said the new tools will help make way for more “timely, coordinated and evidence-based” decisions on major projects in the Slave Geological Province within the NWT.