Ekati workers’ union says bargaining set to resume

The union representing workers at the NWT’s Ekati diamond mine says it is heading back to the bargaining table with mine owner Dominion.

An update posted to the Union of Northern Workers’ website on Thursday claimed the two parties will return to bargaining instead of taking their dispute to the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB).

Negotiations over a new collective agreement, which have been ongoing since August 2014, soured in the past year.

First, Dominion filed a “failure to bargain” complaint against the Public Service Alliance of Canada, of which the Union of Northern Workers (UNW) is a component, in May.

In return, the union filed an “unfair labour practice” complaint against Dominion in August.

To resolve those disputes, the CIRB had been set to mediate between the two later this month.

However, the union says last-ditch talks in Vancouver this week resulted in a return to direct negotiations.

“The parties reached an agreement to adjourn hearing dates set for January 25-27 and return to the bargaining table as soon as possible to work towards reaching renewal of the collective agreement,” read the union’s statement.

“Our goal continues to focus on achieving a positive outcome and an improved collective agreement for our members at Ekati.”

In full: Union of Northern Workers bargaining update

Almost 500 workers at Ekati are represented by the UNW, some of whom are based outside the territory.

One major bone of contention in the past year has been Dominion’s decision to end free charter flights from Edmonton to Yellowknife for those workers.

In July 2015, Dominion told the CBC it had increased employee travel allowances at the same time, and was trying to support northern workers while encouraging southern workers to move to the NWT.

The UNW says future bargaining dates are yet to be confirmed.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Carney said Canada was attacked, pointed to divisions inside Trump administration

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada was under economic attack Saturday after trade negotiations collapsed, new U.S. tariffs took effect and he suggested divisions inside U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration contributed to the breakdown.

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation as 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs take effect

Canada suspended trade negotiations with the United States and pledged dollar-for-dollar retaliation as additional 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs took effect early Saturday on about $28 billion in Canadian goods.

Prince George plane lost engine power before fatal crash, investigators say

A plane that made a fatal emergency landing on a Prince George road Thursday lost power in one engine before colliding with four vehicles, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said.

Temporary suspension of labour and delivery services in Inuvik extended

The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority has announced that they will be extending the temporary suspension of labour and delivery services at the Inuvik Regional Hospital.

Planned ignition underway in Behchokǫ̀

NWT Fire has announced that wildfire crews and aircraft will be in Behchokǫ̀ on Friday, August 21 to work towards a planned ignition.