GNWT replacing NTPC board of directors with deputy ministers

The territorial government is replacing the Northwest Territories Power Corporation’s current board of directors with a new board made up of six GNWT deputy ministers.

Louis Sebert, minister responsible for the power corporation, says the move will eliminate approximately $1-million in annual costs that are passed on to customers as part of their electricity rates.

Read: NTPC Applies For Refund Rider Because Of Low Fuel Prices

The appointments of the current board of directors will be revoked as of May 24. The Northwest Territories Power Corporation Act requires a board of between six and ten directors to be appointed.

“This decision is part of our government’s broader work to address the cost of living,” said Sebert in a statement.

“The GNWT continues to provide a significant level of direct financial support to NTPC and the auditor general has recently changed its accounting classification to recognize its more direct relationship to the government.”

Sebert says the government will “examine options for the future governance of NTPC as part of its ongoing work to address the high cost of living in the NWT.”

The approximate savings referenced have already been factored into the general rate application filed by NTPC late last month.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Expanded environmental assessment proposed for Mackenzie Valley Highway

The Government of the Northwest Territories is moving to expand the scope of environmental assessment for the Mackenzie Valley Highway to include the corridor from Norman Wells to a connection with the Dempster Highway.

Taltson Hydro Plant maintenance shutdown started early

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation has announced that the annual summer maintenance shutdown of the Taltson Hydro Plant has been moved forward to begin on August 16 and is scheduled to last until August 27.

South Slave fire reignited by ongoing drought

Warm and dry conditions in parts of the territory have contributed to drying fuels, allowing new wildfires to form more easily or reignite after being initially contained.

Consensus reached on the proposed route for the AESC

The Yellowknives Dene First Nation and the Tłı̨chǫ Government have announced that they have reached a consensus on the proposed corridor for the Arctic Economic and Security Corridor, an all-season road that will connect the NWT to the Nunavut border.

Fish for Sale exhibit going on tour of the North and South Slave

Fish for Sale: A History of Commercial Fishing on Great Slave Lake, a feature exhibit at the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre will be travelling to several communities in the North and South Slave.