58 GNWT employees warned they could lose their jobs soon

58 people working for the territorial government have been warned they could lose their jobs soon, according to a background document made available to Moose FM.

According to the document, “approximately 58 people received an affected employee notice” from the GNWT on Thursday.

Even though notices have been issued, the government says “no decisions have been made at this time.”

Read: Bargaining Begins Between GNWT And Workers’ Union

Earlier this year, senior finance officials admitted the territory’s economic outlook ‘isn’t great’ over the next five years.

The government is projecting marginal surpluses for the next three years followed by consecutive deficits. The GNWT is also expected to amass over $1 billion in debt by 2020.

To address the gap between future revenues and expenditures, the Department of Finance says the government needs to come up with $150 million in combined revenue and expenditure measures over the next five years.

In February, territorial finance minister Robert C. McLeod announced a first step in the form of a two-year salary freeze for some of the government’s top earners.

But many feared job cuts were also looming, and Thursday’s background document provides the first hard evidence of that possibility.

The document, which was shared with MLAs, says some of the employees affected will be offered different jobs within the government over the next eight weeks.

They’ll also be granted priority on any government jobs within and beyond their department until the end of the notice period.

Those who don’t get an offer will receive a layoff notice and have at least three months before their job is cut.

MLAs will discuss the territorial budget in much greater detail when the 18th Legislative Assembly reconvenes next Tuesday.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Final school in the territory tested for lead

Lead testing of the water at Chief Albert Wright School in Tulita has shown that one water fixture at the school has elevated lead levels.

Tłı̨cho government and GNWT hold meeting on mutual interests

The Tłı̨cho government and the Government of the Northwest Territories met on August 18 in Yellowknife to discuss areas of mutual interest.

RCMP creating temporary restricted airspace for exercise

The RCMP Federal Policing Northwest Region and RCMP Air Services are warning residents and aviation traffic of a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System operational trial exercise.

Temporary 911 outage planned for several communities

The Government of the Northwest Territories is advising residents of Gamètì, Łutsel K’e and Paulatuk of a telecommunications service disruption.

New fire spotted at Smokey Lake

One new fire has been located in the territory, according to the latest reports by NWT Fire. Warm and dry conditions are expected into the weekend, which may increase fire weather concerns in parts of the NWT.