100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

At least 49 NTCL employees facing temporary layoff notices Friday

At least 49 people working with Northern Transportation Company Limited (NTCL) will be issued temporary layoff notices Friday.

That’s according to the Union of Canadian Transportation Employees, one of three unions that represent NTCL employees.

The financially troubled company is currently under creditor protection and looking to sell off some of its assets in an effort to deal with massive debt.

Earlier this month, the company began the process of selling off non-essential barges and property in Hay River.

On Wednesday, NTCL warned employees temporary layoff notices would be issued later in the week and that there wouldn’t be work for them as of Sept. 2.

“They are not permanent layoffs at this time,” said Teresa Eschuk, regional vice-president of the Union of Canadian Transportation Employees. “They are just regular seasonal layoffs.”

Eschuk’s union represents 49 current employees of NTCL, the majority of whom live in Hay River.

The Canadian Merchant Service Guild and Seafarers’ International Union of Canada also represent NTCL employees.

Eschuk says it’s too early to tell if workers will be brought back on next season.

“We do know that the assets are up for sale,” she said. “We do know that no one has come forth wanting to buy the entity as a whole so they’re looking at selling it off piece by piece.

“For as long as I’ve been in my position which is seven years, and even before that, the company has been in some financial difficulty and obviously they couldn’t overcome that.

“We don’t know what it’s going to look like next year. We may or may not have succession rates for our members there.”

Earlier this summer, the GNWT cut short a $110 million contract with NTCL to sealift bulk fuel to several marine-supplied communities amid concerns the company was looking to get out of the marine shipping business.

Once summer deliveries along the Mackenzie River are done, the company’s current contract – which was supposed to last until late 2019 — will come to an end.

NTCL’s sealift season on the Mackenzie typically lasts until the end of September. The company has been operating on the waterway for nearly 80 years.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Search continues for ways to deal with 200,000 tons of arsenic dust at Giant Mine

Scientists presented projects for a more permanent solution to hundreds of thousands of tons arsenic dust from the mine. One method uses local beer to fuel a transformation of the toxic dust, while another tries to turn it into glass. Another proposed method looks at turning the dust into a highly sought commodity known as metallic arsenic. Additional proposals look whether robotic technology could allow crews to virtually pilot the extraction of the dust while “sipping coffee” from a distance.

Yellowknife group calls on leaders to prevent unregulated weapons exports

Amid the extreme cold wild chill temperatures of -50 degrees Celsius, a local activist group held a rally today outside of Minister MP Rebecca Alty’s office in Yellowknife, calling leaders to back Bill C-233 to help prevent the unregulated movement of weapons. The group called on territorial and federal leaders to stand behind a proposed law aimed to prevent unregulated weapons and weapon component exports into the U.S.

65 year old in custody after alleged robbery at Dollarama in Yellowknife

A 65 year old suspect remains in custody after police received a report of an armed robbery yesterday at Dollarama in Yellowknife. On Feb. 16 Yellowknife RCMP received a report that a suspect had allegedly “pulled a knife” on staff reportedly fleeing on foot with a “quantity” of merchandise from the store.

Yellowknife RCMP take youth suspect into custody after firearms complaint

Yellowknife RCMP have taken a youth suspect into custody following a firearms complaint.

New program hopes to assist youth in crisis in Yellowknife

Home Base Yellowknife, Yellowknife Education District No. 1, Yellowknife Catholic Schools, and the Government of the Northwest Territories are collaborating on the Home Base Stabilization Education Program (STEP).