First Air to terminate codeshare agreement with Canadian North

First Air has notified Canadian North that it will terminate their codeshare relationship effective May 16, 2017.

“The codeshare achieved the efficiencies and schedule improvements that First Air had hoped for,” said Brock Friesen, president and CEO of First Air.

“However our customers have told us that they strongly prefer to fly First Air on its own.”

RELATED: First Air, Canadian North change schedule for Northern route

The notice period provided by First Air is consistent with the agreement between the two airlines.

Earlier this month, First Air announced that all six of its recently purchased ATR42-500s will be in service by early-2017, bringing its fleet to a total of 13.

“First Air now has ample fleet to provide a robust schedule in both the Eastern and Western Arctic,” added Friesen.

Customers holding reservations beyond May 16 will automatically be re-confirmed on a new flight if their flight schedule has changed.

The codeshare agreement between the two airlines was first announced in May 2015, and came into effect three months later in August.

The practice of codesharing allows airlines to combine flights and reduce operating costs without merging.

Around the time the agreement was announced, both airlines called Canada’s North one of the most challenging geographical and economic environments anywhere in the world.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Expanded environmental assessment proposed for Mackenzie Valley Highway

The Government of the Northwest Territories is moving to expand the scope of environmental assessment for the Mackenzie Valley Highway to include the corridor from Norman Wells to a connection with the Dempster Highway.

Taltson Hydro Plant maintenance shutdown started early

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation has announced that the annual summer maintenance shutdown of the Taltson Hydro Plant has been moved forward to begin on August 16 and is scheduled to last until August 27.

South Slave fire reignited by ongoing drought

Warm and dry conditions in parts of the territory have contributed to drying fuels, allowing new wildfires to form more easily or reignite after being initially contained.

Consensus reached on the proposed route for the AESC

The Yellowknives Dene First Nation and the Tłı̨chǫ Government have announced that they have reached a consensus on the proposed corridor for the Arctic Economic and Security Corridor, an all-season road that will connect the NWT to the Nunavut border.

Fish for Sale exhibit going on tour of the North and South Slave

Fish for Sale: A History of Commercial Fishing on Great Slave Lake, a feature exhibit at the Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre will be travelling to several communities in the North and South Slave.