51 employees laid off at NWT’s Diavik diamond mine

51 people have lost their jobs at the NWT’s Diavik diamond mine, 300 kilometres northeast of Yellowknife.

Diavik Diamond Mines Inc. says it was forced to lay off employees from across the business given ‘current market conditions’.

RELATED: Dominion’s decision to leave Yellowknife an epic fail: chamber

RELATED: Robert Gannicott, who developed Diavik diamond mine, passes away

The mine is owned by Rio Tinto (60 per cent) and Dominion Diamond Corporation (40 per cent), and operated by Yellowknife-based Diavik Diamond Mines Inc., a subsidiary of Rio Tinto.

The decision to lay off staff marks yet another blow to the territory’s resource-dependent economy.

It also comes in the same year that the diamond mine – Canada’s largest – produced its 100 millionth carat since production began 13 years ago.

Another blow for the industry

Earlier this month, Dominion announced that a hundred employees will be affected when the company moves its corporate office from Yellowknife to Calgary next year.

Around this time last year, De Beers Canada – owner of the territory’s Gahcho Kue diamond mine – announced that it’d be moving its own office down south.

Diavik’s lifespan is expected to run out in 2024, even with the development of the A21 pipeline.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Carney said Canada was attacked, pointed to divisions inside Trump administration

Prime Minister Mark Carney said Canada was under economic attack Saturday after trade negotiations collapsed, new U.S. tariffs took effect and he suggested divisions inside U.S. President Donald Trump’s administration contributed to the breakdown.

Canada vows dollar-for-dollar retaliation as 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs take effect

Canada suspended trade negotiations with the United States and pledged dollar-for-dollar retaliation as additional 50-per-cent U.S. tariffs took effect early Saturday on about $28 billion in Canadian goods.

Prince George plane lost engine power before fatal crash, investigators say

A plane that made a fatal emergency landing on a Prince George road Thursday lost power in one engine before colliding with four vehicles, the Transportation Safety Board of Canada said.

Temporary suspension of labour and delivery services in Inuvik extended

The Northwest Territories Health and Social Services Authority has announced that they will be extending the temporary suspension of labour and delivery services at the Inuvik Regional Hospital.

Planned ignition underway in Behchokǫ̀

NWT Fire has announced that wildfire crews and aircraft will be in Behchokǫ̀ on Friday, August 21 to work towards a planned ignition.