More calls for improved Stanton security after another incident

There are more calls for strengthened security measures at Yellowknife’s Stanton Territorial Hospital after another violent incident involving a patient.

An individual had to be physically restrained on Friday night, two months after staff were forced to hide when another patient began throwing equipment and issuing threats.

“A patient was quite violent and it took a lot of people to restrain that person,” Sheila Laity, a nurse who represents Stanton’s unionized workers, told the CBC, which reports several staff required medical attention following the incident.

Laity says staff are seeking “ready assistance should a violent episode occur” in the form of security personnel able to physically restrain patients.

“They’d like to feel that when they go to work, they are safe and the people they are caring for are safe as well,” she added.

Read: Meet Hay River’s new midwives, Toni and Heather

However, the territorial health minister, Glen Abernethy, says the hospital practises “an operating philosophy of non-crisis intervention”.

“The bottom line is that Stanton (emphasizes) non-crisis intervention as opposed to physical restraint when dealing with violent or potentially violent clients within the facility,” Abernethy told the Yellowknifer newspaper last week.

Abernethy, who is waiting for a working group to report back on the issue in three months’ time, admitted recent incidents “may require a philosophical change in the way they approach safety within the institution”.

The health minister believes current territorial legislation allows for hands-on security operations at the hospital, and would not need to be changed to accommodate tougher security measures.

Photo: CambridgeBayWeather/Wikimedia.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

$55 million contract awarded for housing development on 54th Avenue

Housing NWT has announced that a construction contract for a 64-unit housing development in Yellowknife has been awarded to PCL Construction.

Norman Wells RCMP respond to reports of bootlegging activity

One suspect has been charged by Norman Wells RCMP following their response to reports of bootlegging activity within the community.

Housing NWT launches new Technical Team pilot project

Housing NWT has announced their new Technical Team pilot project in the Beaufort Delta, Sahtu, and Nahendeh districts to improve the delivery of repairs and provide preventative maintenance.

U.S. delays Canadian tariffs three days as Trump claims trade deal

The United States postponed planned 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days as U.S. President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a trade deal.

Candidate College to be held in September

With October’s municipal election fast approaching, the City of Yellowknife has announced that they will be holding a second session of their Candidate College.