$4.8M in adjustments added to 2017-2018 NWT budget

After much debate and a lot of opposition, approval for the 2017-2018 budget finally seems near.

There was contention between cabinet and regular MLAs over the upcoming budget in recent weeks.

In the legislature Friday on Friday, Northwest Territories Finance Minister Robert C. McLeod announced $4.8 million in adjustments to the budget following long debate and much feedback from Northerners.

RELATED: NWT minister criticizes MLAs’ united stance against budget

RELATED: Yellowknifers protest cuts to Aurora College programs

The adjustments included:

  • An increase to the budget for homecare by $2.5 million.
  • $500,000 in additional funding towards the Anti-Poverty Fund, doubling the fund’s budget after criticism came that it was not meeting its demand. Last year, the fund received approximately $200 million worth of requests for funding.
  • Half a million dollars for a Youth in Crisis program.
  • A $250,000 increase in support for freight costs associated with the fishing industry. On Monday, the Department of Industry, Tourism and Investment committed $1.4 million to revitalizing the commercial fishing industry in Hay River.
  • $600,000 in increased funding to the Mineral Incentive Program, an incentive program for mining explorations in the territory.
  • $500,000 to increase the Community Access Road Program.

McLeod also said the GNWT will defer reductions to Aurora College’s Bachelor of Education and social work programs until a fundamental review of the college is completed.

RELATED: ‘Why did I even go back to school now?’ says Aurora College student

RELATED: Aurora College not consulted on cuts says former board member

Despite the halt on reductions, the programs will still not be accepting new students.

Several MLAs applauded the adjustments on Twitter shortly after Friday’s announcement. Final vote on the budget is scheduled for Monday.

https://twitter.com/coryvmlayknorth/status/837749939664904192

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Fort Simpson police ask for assistance in shooting investigation

Fort Simpson RCMP are asking for assistance from the public in relation to their ongoing investigation into a shooting last week.

$55 million contract awarded for housing development on 54th Avenue

Housing NWT has announced that a construction contract for a 64-unit housing development in Yellowknife has been awarded to PCL Construction.

Norman Wells RCMP respond to reports of bootlegging activity

One suspect has been charged by Norman Wells RCMP following their response to reports of bootlegging activity within the community.

Housing NWT launches new Technical Team pilot project

Housing NWT has announced their new Technical Team pilot project in the Beaufort Delta, Sahtu, and Nahendeh districts to improve the delivery of repairs and provide preventative maintenance.

U.S. delays Canadian tariffs three days as Trump claims trade deal

The United States postponed planned 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days as U.S. President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a trade deal.