100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

Hundreds more people leave the Northwest Territories

The population of the Northwest Territories continues to decline, according to figures released on Wednesday.

Overall, Statistics Canada says the territory lost 200 people between the last quarter of 2014 and first quarter of 2015.

The latest population estimate now stands at 43,595, which is a decline of 338 people compared with this time last year.

That’s the lowest the NWT’s population has been since early 2012, and the largest year-on-year percentage decline reported by any province or territory.

Numbers of non-permanent residents, including temporary foreign workers, in the NWT dropped from 448 to 406 year-on-year – in contrast to an increase of more than 24,000 across Canada as a whole.

The territorial government has recently unveiled plans to bolster programs that bring foreign workers into the territory.

Read: NWT expects 800+ new immigrants from revamped nominee program

Canada’s overall population rose to 35,702,707 in the latest estimates – an increase of almost 370,000 on this time last year.

When residents leave the Northwest Territories for other parts of Canada, Statistics Canada also keeps track of their destination.

In the past year, more than 1,000 people have moved south to Alberta.

British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Ontario are also popular destinations.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.