A house fire in Yellowknife’s Old Town area on June 21 was caused by a faulty bathroom fan, according to the fire marshall.

Officials say the fan is to blame for a blaze at 3185 Bretzlaff Drive that caused significant damage to the home.

“The fire investigator found some indications that the fire started in the bathroom,” said Chucker Dewar, the territory’s fire marshall. “We sent off the bathroom fan for further analysis which confirmed our findings.”

The fire was one of at least three structural fires in a span of three weeks in the city. All have been deemed accidental in nature.

Dewar says residents should clean out their ventilation systems often, as lint and dirt often build up.

“Anywhere where there’s forced air movement, such as furnaces, dryers and fans – they require filter replacements as they catch all the lint and materials that are in the air,” said Dewar.

“All electrical equipment that people purchase should be CSA approved,”