NewsYellowknife News Robertson Headframe demolition could start within two weeks SHARE ON: Greg Hanna, contributor, Monday, Aug. 29th, 2016 Con Mine's Robertson Headframe (aerial view) Demolition of the Robertson Headframe could start as soon as September 8, according to Miramar Mining – the company responsible for the defunct Con Mine in Yellowknife. Last week, the city approved a development permit for the headframe’s demolition. Appeals can be filed with the city’s development office until September 8, after which demolition can proceed. “We’re just awaiting final approval on all permits and the demolition,” said Scott Stringer, general manager with Miramar. “Once we have received these approvals, expected this week, we will begin demolition of the structure on or about September 8.” The 76-metre structure was built in 1977 and is the tallest structure in the Northwest Territories. Stringer says it’ll take about two weeks for the headframe to be brought down to the ground, with the cleanup expected to take until the end of October or early November. Before the company can get there, a long list of conditions must be met, mostly regarding the removal of hazardous materials such as mercury, asbestos and freon. The headframe has been the centre of debate in recent years, with the territorial government saying earlier this month that it will not be preserving the headframe after negotiating with the owners fell through. The GNWT says it was trying to save the iconic structure from demolition given its historical significance. In February of 2015, Yellowknife city councillors voted to end discussions about taking over ownership.