Spring Clean-Up program offers $500 for groups
Spring is around the corner and the City of Yellowknife has begun preparing for the season. Registration has opened once again for the Spring Clean-Up. The long time program offers $500 to community groups to clean-up an assigned area in the City after the spring snow melt. This year’s clean-up is scheduled from May 19th=26th.
Organizers are required to provide ten volunteers in order to be assigned a space. Groups that enlist more than twenty volunteers are encouraged to apply for more than one contract. The city is split into 60 areas to be cleaned. All applications will be considered and ranked based on how well they meet the criteria outlined in the policy. Here is the criteria:
- Applicants must represent a non-profit organization or school.
- Preference will be given to youth- or family-oriented organizations.
- Preference will be given to organizations whose main focus is sport, recreation, education and/or culture.
- Applicants (and/or governing organizations) must be in good financial standing with the City of Yellowknife.
- Preference will be given to Yellowknife-based organizations serving Yellowknife residents.
- A list of participants is required with your application: 10+ for small areas; 20+ if applying for more than one area.
- Only one application per governing organization or school per year will be considered. Applications from multiples groups/teams from the same governing organization or school will be treated as one application and applicants will be contacted to discuss options.
- Organizations who have been awarded funding from other City programs or grants may not be considered for the Service Contract.
Mayor Rebecca Alty says the program is a great way for the city to help each other.
“This is a great opportunity for community groups to raise funds, work together and keep our city clean for all to enjoy”
The deadline to apply for the program is Wednesday, April 10th at 5 p.m. Eligibility information and application can be found here.