Yellowknife on the cusp of winning $20,000 prize for being active
Photo from the City of Yellowknife's website
With the $20,000 prize within reach and less than a week to go, the City of Yellowknife is encouraging residents to get out there and be active in an attempt to win first place for the northern region in the ParticipACTION Community Better Challenge.
The challenge is running until June 16th and is similar to Walk to Tuk but on a national level. To participate, download the free ParticipACTION app, which will track your active minutes and contribute to the challenge.
It can be as simple as walking the dog, playing softball, or even cleaning the house. Sports teams are also encouraged to log their team’s combined active time to help Yellowknife take the top spot.
Mayor Rebbeca Alty notes that it is great to see so many Yellowknifers getting active and working together to win money for community recreation.
“We need one last effort to pull ahead and take the top spot. Let’s keep going and win first place in the northern region.”
The City put together several free events for the challenge as well as advertising other recreational activities that are happening during the challenge. There are free public events taking place in the coming days including:
- Outdoor Photo Walk with Samantha Stuart on Thursday, June 13th from 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m (Sign-up + pay),
- Aboriginal Games on Thursday, June 13th from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m at the Somba K’e Civic Plaza (Drop-in/Free),
- Lunch Hour Workout on Friday, June 14th from 12:10 p.m. – 12:50 p.m. at the Somba K’e Civic Plaza (Drop-in/Free),
- Ladies Only Swim Night on Saturday, June 15th from 8:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. at the Ruth Inch Memorial Pool (Drop-in/Free),
- Brain Tumour Walk 2019 on Saturday, June 15th from 11:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. at the Somba K’e Civic Plaza (Sign-up),
- Wrap-Up Dance Party on Sunday, June 16th from 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. at the Somba K’e Civic Plaza (Drop-in/Free),
- Nerf Wars on Sunday, June 16th from 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. at the Multiplex Gym (Sign-up + pay).
For more information on the challenge head over to the City’s website.