100.1 GO FM - We're Your Feel Good Pop Station

One year after WWOS, Yellowknife hosts #MMIW pre-inquiry talks

Indigenous and Northern Affairs Minister Carolyn Bennett is in Yellowknife today to host preliminary engagements ahead of the launch of a national inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women.

Bennett is in the Northwest Territories capital to meet with survivors, family members and loved ones of victims.

Those who attend today’s pre-inquiry engagements will be asked how they think the national inquiry should work, and how broad it should be in scope.

The sessions will be some of the first held outside Ottawa since the Liberals confirmed their intention to launch an inquiry, something the Conservatives said wasn’t a priority during the party’s term in office.

Read: Yellowknife To Host #MMIW Inquiry Preliminary Meeting

In Yellowknife, Bennett’s trip comes almost exactly a year after the city hosted the Walking With Our Sisters (WWOS) memorial.

The travelling art installation, comprised of nearly 1,800 pairs of moccasin tops, is meant to commemorate missing and murdered indigenous women and girls in both Canada and the United States.

In the last 30 years, approximately 1,200 indigenous women and girls have either been reported missing or have been murdered in Canada alone, according to the exhibit’s website.

Gerri Sharpe was on the organizing committee when Walking With Our Sisters came to Yellowknife. She never imagined Yellowknife hosting pre-inquiry discussions within a year of the exhibit coming to town.

“I’m really pleased that it’s taking place,” she said. “I’m sure that there’s going to be great benefits that come from it. I’m even more pleased that affected family members will have input and that their voices will be heard.

“A lot of people throughout Canada put in a lot of effort to bring this to where it is now and it’s making headway.

“This time last year the outlook wasn’t as good as it is now although at the time, we knew our premier [Bob McLeod] was going to host the first talks for what this would look like here in Yellowknife.”

Those talks were eventually moved to Ottawa because of logistical problems last February. Sharpe credits both the territorial and federal government for finally moving towards a national inquiry.

“We are happy that our premier has taken a good stance and a step forward in participating and making this happen,” she said.

“We’re even happier that the Liberal government made this a campaign issue and has kept to it.

“I foresee them seeking answers as to why indigenous women in particular are susceptible to going missing or being murdered.

“We need to protect the vulnerable and this has been identified as an issue within all of Canada.”

As the commemorative exhibit travels to North Battleford, Saskatchewan next week, Bennett will continue pre-inquiry engagements in Whitehorse on Monday.

Mike Gibbins
Mike Gibbins
Hello and thank you for listening to 100.1 Moose FM! To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Task Force Grizzly push full steam ahead after braving weeks of 24/7 extreme cold

Over 200 members of the 41 Canadian Brigade group, part of the militia known as Task Force Grizzly, were out on (and in) a frozen lake in Yellowknife on Friday morning. They were there participating in an ice rescue exercise on the last leg of what was a two week mission for some. The brigade was part of a larger mission known as Operation Nanook-Nuvailivut, made up of members of Joint Task Force North who travelled from Edmonton to Yellowknife

Ambe Chenemu makes way for Black Histories in North, makes way for change

A gathering of people from across the territory and beyond overflowed from the visitor centre space on Thursday evening in Yellowknife to hear Ambe Chenemu speak. Chemenu is the founder of BACupNorth, a Black Advocacy Coalition. A trailblazing community visionary, Chenemu is also a lead member of a number of advocacy groups, board chair for NWT Integrated and Community Services, along with leading a number of health, housing and economic development organizations.

Minister urges feds to provide long-term funding for Inuit Child First program

The government of Canada has announced a plan to extend funding for the Inuit Child First Initiative. In response, Education Minister Caitlin Cleveland said that it is a positive sign. The minister added that it remains unclear whether the guidelines for Inuit Child First or Jordan’s Principle have changed in a way that allows children and families to better access services in the N.W.T.

AVENS awards honour “650 years of collective service” for care workers

AVENS announced that they are holding a ceremony in honour of long-term staff at the facility, which first opened its doors over 40 years ago in the city of Yellowknife. The “Going the Extra Mile for Seniors” Awards ceremony will celebrate “650 years of collective service.”In an announcement today, Colleen Wellborn, Chair of the AVENS Board of Directors said the event highlights dedicated staff, whose contributions are “vital” to the older adult community.

Youth suspect arrested following social media threats

A youth suspect has been arrested by Hay River RCMP after police were made aware of a threatening post on social media made yesterday.