NWT mine operator Dominion to appoint new chairman

Dominion Diamond Corporation is replacing its chairman.

Bob Gannicott, Dominion’s chairman since July 2004 and a veteran of 23 years on the mine operator’s board, said he was facing “medical challenges” in a statement on Wednesday.

Gannicott has previously spent time away from the business on medical leave, most recently an eight-month absence which saw him step down as CEO on his return in July 2015.

By the end of April this year, Gannicott is expected to hand over the chairman’s role to new board appointee Jim Gowans.

In full: Dominion Diamond Corp news release

Gowans only took over as president and chief executive of Canadian mineral exploration firm Arizona Mining at the start of the month.

The 63-year-old previously held a variety of senior positions at Barrick Gold and has also worked for De Beers. He is a past chair of the Mining Association of Canada.

“I have known Jim throughout his career, especially the parts relating to northern mine development and, later, the diamond industry,” said Gannicott in a prepared statement.

“It is with great confidence that I anticipate handing over the chairmanship to Jim in the near future.”

Related: Ekati workers’ union says bargaining set to resume

Dominion operates the NWT’s Ekati diamond mine and also owns a share in the Diavik mine, which is a joint venture with Rio Tinto.

Last month a group of shareholders issued a call for changes at Dominion, accusing the company of pursuing the wrong growth strategy and missing chances to stabilize the price of its ailing shares.

Those concerns are not shared by all industry experts, with one telling the CBC this week that “the outlook is very attractive” for Dominion.

However, in an apparent concession, the company also confirmed one of its most vocal detractors is now joining the board.

“Dominion also announces the appointment of Mr Josef Vejvoda to the board, who was identified and proposed to Dominion by a group of shareholders,” read the statement.

“In connection with these appointments, the group has entered into an agreement with Dominion which includes a customary standstill on the part of the group.”

Vejvoda was among the shareholders who issued December’s letter of complaint, listing eight areas of concern.

Two directors resigned, citing personal reasons, following the publication of that letter.

Ollie Williams
Ollie Williams
Hello! I'm the one with the British accent. Thanks for supporting CJCD. To contact me, you can email me, find me on Twitter or call (867) 920-4663.

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Water levels “above average” on Mackenzie at Aklavik as ice-break up underway

Environmental scientists with the territory’s Environment and Climate Change department said that ice break-up along the Peel River is “near complete.” Data collected as of this morning showed that ice break up continues along the Mackenzie Delta, with water levels "above average" in Aklavik.

New program formally integrates wildland and structural firefighting

The territorial government and the Northwest Territories Fire Chiefs Association have just unveiled a new program that formally integrates N.W.T. wildfire and community emergency response. While the Wildland Urban Interface program is aimed at responding to a need for “stronger integration” between wildland and structural firefighting during wildfire threats, some responsibilities remain delegated to the municipal level.

No word yet on what caused Taltson’s newly repaired surge tank to leak

It will be “several” more days before more is known about a reported leak at the Taltson Station’s surge tank. South Slave hydro customers were transfered to diesel fuel this weekend as N.W.T.’s Power Corporation inspects the Talston surge tank, after some water was observed leaking from the tank.

GNWT alerts Canvas users of security breach

The Government of the Northwest Territories is notifying users of the Canvas learning management platform of a security incident involving Canvas’ parent company, Instructure.

NTPC warns of potential short outages in Inuvik

The Northwest Territories Power Corporation is warning residents of Inuvik that during planned work on the local power plant the community may experience short intermittent power outages.