Robertson Headframe demolition could start within two weeks

Demolition of the Robertson Headframe could start as soon as September 8, according to Miramar Mining – the company responsible for the defunct Con Mine in Yellowknife.  

Last week, the city approved a development permit for the headframe’s demolition. Appeals can be filed with the city’s development office until September 8, after which demolition can proceed.

“We’re just awaiting final approval on all permits and the demolition,” said Scott Stringer, general manager with Miramar. “Once we have received these approvals, expected this week, we will begin demolition of the structure on or about September 8.”

The 76-metre structure was built in 1977 and is the tallest structure in the Northwest Territories.

Stringer says it’ll take about two weeks for the headframe to be brought down to the ground, with the cleanup expected to take until the end of October or early November.

Before the company can get there, a long list of conditions must be met, mostly regarding the removal of hazardous materials such as mercury, asbestos and freon.

The headframe has been the centre of debate in recent years, with the territorial government saying earlier this month that it will not be preserving the headframe after negotiating with the owners fell through.

The GNWT says it was trying to save the iconic structure from demolition given its historical significance.

In February of 2015, Yellowknife city councillors voted to end discussions about taking over ownership.

 

 

Greg Hanna
Greg Hanna
On-Call Host & News Reporter

Continue Reading

You may also like



cjcd Now playing play

- Advertisement -

Related Articles

- Advertisement -

Latest News

Yellowknife police recover stolen vehicle

Yellowknife RCMP reportedly recovered a vehicle that had been reported stolen earlier this week.

Fireweed Festival next weekend in Fort Smith

Fireweed Festival NT is bringing three days of live music, Indigenous and Métis culture, food, and community celebration to Fort Smith from August 21 to 23. 

Federal government announces investments in Highway 8

The Government of Canada has announced that they will be investing $15 million into making Highway 8 more safe and reliable for travelers in the NWT

Fort Simpson police respond to shooting

Fort Simpson RCMP responded to reports of a shooting Friday morning.

Yellowknife Colour Run this weekend

The second Yellowknife Colour Run is being held this weekend, On Saturday August 15, starting at 9:00 am with registration opening at 8:00 am.